SeasonedHardwood Logs – Environmentally-Friendly Home HeatingIf you want to heat up your home in an environmentally-friendly way this winter, using seasoned hardwood logs on an open fire or wood burning stove is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint.
Many householders who have open fireplaces already enjoy all the benefits they bring: it makes the home cosy and warm, cuts the cost of heating bills and reduces the impact on the environment.
In fact, even among those planning a new build, or house extension, several are opting for an open fireplace to become more eco-friendly. Chimneys can be installed in new builds or extensions and can also be added to existing properties and they make a wonderful feature in the home.However, if you already have a wood burning stove or an open fire and it is ready for use this winter, you would be well advised to start now and stock up on seasoned hardwood logs.
Big K sells high quality seasoned hardwood logs in polythene nets and they contain a mixture of hardwoods including birch, elm, ash, cedar, oak and lime wood. Our winter fuel is delivered nationwide.Here we shall take a look at how the use of seasoned hardwood logs on your open fire is an eco-friendly way to heat your home.
Seasoned Hardwood Logs - click here to view our range of products.
Eco-Friendly Benefits of Seasoned Hardwood Logs
- The process of drying (or seasoning) hard wood has been used for centuries and the resulting product can be used on anything: from wood burning stoves to open fires and chimneas.
- Seasoned hardwood logs may have as much as 40 per cent less moisture content than freshly cut wood, also known as green wood. This makes them more fuel efficient as the energy used in burning the logs is spent generating heat for your home, instead of drying off the excess water.
- Hardwood logs dried in this way are virtually smoke free, which means there are less deposits of soot or creosote (a tar like substance) in your chimney. This over time, helps reduce the overall cost of cleaning and maintaining the flue.
- Buying Big K seasoned hardwood logs encourages responsible forestry as all our wood comes from sustainable sources.
- In addition, Big K is a British based company which only uses logs readily available from the UK. The benefit of this is that our logs don’t have to be imported from other countries so it helps cut down on our - and your - carbon footprint.
- Open fires in general reduce the dependence on fossil fuels which is good news all round.
- The use of timber on an open fire also helps lower carbon emissions because wood is a carbon neutral product. This is because the quantity of carbon dioxide it releases when it is burned is equivalent to that of which it absorbed during its lifetime.
- Seasoned hardwood logs burn hotter and for longer than seasoned soft wood which means that they are more fuel efficient and help to reduce fuel costs in the long run.
Seasoned Hardwood Logs Sold By Big KBig K seasoned hardwood logs comply to BSI standard P250 and P330. They are cut to 20-25 cm in length and 4 cm to 16 cm in diameter, so they are ideal for open fireplaces, woodburners and a range of other appliances.
How to Store Your Seasoned Harwood LogsSeasoned hardwood logs that have been stored correctly produce more heat and are therefore more cost effective.
The best way to store them is to keep your seasoned hardwood logs undercover and off the ground, but also allow the air to get to them. If you don’t have a designated log storage area you can buy log stores online, which are available in the form of crates or log bins and allow the air to circulate.
Seasoned Hardwood Logs - click here to view our range of products